Thursday, January 7, 2016

A Place of Serenity

New explorers setting out into the void have started sending back reports of previously unknown settlements. At multiple locations less than 200ly from the inhabited systems, informal colonies are being formed on recently discovered planets, off the official record kept by Universal Cartographics.

Earth-like worlds are the most popular sites, but unofficial outposts have been verified on other planetary bodies, from high metal planets to icy moons; many of them settled by former pilots, and with population of less than a hundred. Veteran pilot Jonah Adane Tabor, sole occupant of one Earth-like, stated:

“Shinrarta Dezhra? Too many people! Look, I fought a lot of battles in my time – a lot of senseless killing and blood-shedding over nuthin’. I seen my friends blasted into stardust in an instant, vaporised, just like that. Everyone I know is gone now. It crawls into yer brain. I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t sleep… I don’t want to see those things in my dreams no more! I parked up here ‘cause I just want to be left alone. I can’t live with other people. I built this home with my own hands. This is my little corner of the universe to find peace.”

Cmdr Stateira 'Starcloak' Eleshenar
Sentient Life | Interstellar Press

This has been published in Shinrarta Dezhra.

No comments:

Post a Comment