Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Refugee Crisis at He Xians

As part of a new series of features investigating the plight of those less fortunate souls in the galaxy, Sentient Life Magazine's roaming reporter brings us this harrowing story from the war-torn Pegasi Sector:

Leaving the cargo dock at Kraft Port I ran into a small brown haired girl, crouching in a corner and hugging her knees, shoulders shaking. I leant down and asked her what was wrong. 

Sorrowful brown eyes look up at me. Her father had died, she said, when an Imperial wing attacked his ship. A Kumo Crew strike ship Commander, he was also a loyal Imperial citizen, well rewarded for his service to Archon Delaine.

Pa loved the Emperor, she told me, so why did the Duval wing kill him? 200 light years they travelled for this, to liberate fellow Imperial citizens.

‘It didn’t do my Pa any good.’ she said. ‘We are better off with the Kumo Crew, they rewarded Pa for his work and we had a good life. He would still be alive now if it wasn’t for the war.”

I sighed and pushed some credits into her hand, wishing her well. The station was inundated with refugees running, searching for somewhere safe. ‘You can’t fight a flood,’ I thought, ‘but at least this child will eat today.’

Commander Withnail Hanandroo
Sentient Life Magazine | Interstellar Press 3301

No comments:

Post a Comment